.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Involuntary Blogslaughter

This is a blog by a second-year law student at University of Michigan Law School. This blog is filled with misspeliing, grammar mistakes, cynicism, and bitterness because of the Yale Law rejection.

Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Club Review

Every Saturday, there is a latin music night at Guy's Hollerin. This place is attached to Holiday Inn hotel, I think this is normally where they serve breakfast to their guests. It works as a sports bar during the day, and on Saturday it becomes a latin dancing mecca of Ann Arbor.

First, I was shocked to find out that they have a dress code. When I came into the door in my white tennis shoes, all eager to pay the $7 cover charge to get in, I was shot down. It turns out that the only things they don't allow are tennis shoes and baseball caps. Who would ever think that a sports bar would have such a strict dress code? But the guy at the door told me "It makes all the difference in the clientele." I always carry a pair of black dancing shoes, so I went to my car and changed. Interestingly, when I came back I saw people in swimming shorts going through, without any shoes or top. Go figure, tennis shoes - not ok, barefoot - come on in.

Anyway, this was the only hurdle that night. Other than that, it is a relatively nice place. Drinks are reasonable (4.25 for mixed drinks and draft beer), dance floor is relatively big, lots of space to sit around, music was good. The DJ put about 3-4 songs of the same type (Salsa, Mernegue, Bachata, Cumbia) in a row and then switched to the next type. People were nice and friendly, there were about twice as many guys then girls, but for some reason most guys just sat around the bar and watched. A lot of Mexican guys. It got crowded after midnight and people started leaving around 1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home